Sunday 11 September 2011

Finally...This is just the Beginning

So, I hope you have learnt a lot about how to manage your diet and leading a healthy lifestyle. Remember, it is not only about food, but also about exercise and sufficient amount of sleep. BALANCE is the key!

I had not mentioned earlier, but I'm Kavya Sivakumar from Raffles Girls' School (Secondary) and this blog was actually meant as a project for my Food and Nutrition module in Aesthetics. But, to tell you the truth, to me, this project was not really about the grades or anything, but more about self-interest. Who wouldn't be interested in learning more about themselves?

This is what I learnt about myself: I do not have a very healthy diet. Why is this so? My diet contains too much of fats. If you remember, fats was the topmost portion of the Healthy Diet Pyramid. Meaning, it is meant to be consumed in smaller amounts whereas I actually consumed more than recommended daily diet allowance. So, we can see the lack of Balance here. I knew this beforehand as I am slightly overweight and I'm not very good as far as physical activities are concerned.

But, I never realised my sodium content. I knew I eat a lot of salt as I prefer it. But, again salt is in the topmost part of the Healthy Diet Pyramid. So, these are two major points to improve on. When you think about it, it is really ME who has the power to determine what I do in life, including what I'm typing in this post and how balanced my diet can be.  So, you should have a bit of self-control anmd push yourselves so you can maintain balance.

Nutritional tools: I felt that they were pretty instructive and contain a wide, wide variety dishes. They gave a detailed analysis of my diet, to say the least. I actually learnt a lot about what goes into my body. 

I had defined healthy as composing all nutrients you body needs in the right amount and I feel my one-dish meal is also structured according to the Healthy Diet Pyramid. It has a lot of carbohydrates from the rice and potatoes, huge amount of vitamins and minerals from the vegetables, proteins from the daals and lentils and finally, salt and oil.

Finally, what I want to say is that (I know I've said a lot but this is the most important!), this is just the beginning for me. I still have a long way to go before I reach my perfect diet, and even after that, there are plenty of things I can explore . For food, the possibilities are endless! So, I really hope this blog may prove useful to you even in the smallest ways. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment